I used to make this for my father before he passed – his sense of taste went and everything tasted bland to him – so I made him a spicy soup and he loved it. I had to make it every week! Lots of other people tasted it and loved it so I write down the recipe – I thought I’d share here too:
- Tom Yum Paste – has to be the proper stuff!
- 1 Can of Coconut Milk 400ml
- 700ml litre of Chicken Stock
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 chunk of Ginger
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Lime
- 1 stalk of Lemongrass
- 3 Kaffir Lime Leaves
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- Sugar (Palm sugar if possible)
- Fish Sauce
- Vegetables: Peppers, peas, tomatoes, mushrooms, scallions, Chillies
- Boil coconut milk in a pot for 5 minutes with a stalk of Lemongrass, 3 cloves of Garlic, some ginger chopped finely, and a chopped red onion.
- Add the stock, and then add the Tom Yam paste. 2-3 tablespoons depending on how hot you want it – taste it and add more if necessary. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Thinly slice the chicken and add into the pot. You can use Prawns also.
- Add any vegetables you like. Peppers, peas, sweetcorn, mushrooms and small chopped tomatoes etc.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of fish sauce, the juice of half a lime, and 2 tablespoons of sugar. It’s the balance of these three ingredients that make the final flavour so add in small increments to taste. Fish cause gives the sour taste, sweeten with sugar and add zest with lime juice.
Michelin grade! I’m not being rude now but how do I go about getting an invite for dinner?? I prefer this over a restaurant! I commit to bringing 2 racks of corona and a bottle of red.